Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tasting Table Tuesday - Selvages

I finally made a selvage project!  I've seen so many of them floating around the internet, and started saving them long ago, but have never made anything with them, until now.  (This is actually my second attempt to make a selvage hat - you don't want to see the first one - trust me!)

I have a friend who will be starting chemo soon, so I wanted to make her a special hat to wear as she looses her hair.  She is a huge fan of Jo Morton fabrics, and also loves paisley.  So I used a Jo Morton paisley for five of the six hat panels, and pieced some Jo Morton selvages for the front panel and the brim.

To be honest, I started out making a beret-style hat that was made totally from pieced together selvages.  It turned out so small that it just perched on the top of my head, and the selvages didn't allow the fabric to drape properly, so it just sat there like a pancake on the top of my head - it looked so ridiculous that I burst out laughing before I took my seam ripper to it, and salvaged what I could of the selvages (try saying that six times fast!).  I think this newsboy cap is a much better pattern for this project, so that's what she's getting...  It would have looked good with selvages all around, but by the time I cut apart the first hat, I was all out of Jo Morton ones.  So the paisley worked, and I hope she likes it...

(I realize this picture's not the best, but I was in a hurry so just dropped the hat on top of a candle hurricane centerpiece on my table - not the best background, but works in a pinch.)

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely adorable - totally unique. I think it is better without the selvages all around. Your friend should love it and it should help keep her head and heart warm every time she wears it.

    Hats off to Kathy's Haberdashery-

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely and thoughtful gift. I'm sure your friend will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally love, love, love this hat!!!!!!!!!! I know your friend will, too. What a wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Kathy. It's wonderful. I'm sure she will appreciate it. What an honor for it to be chosen by Andover!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers make me smile!