Sunday, July 26, 2015

Name That Quilt

I can design quilts and make quilts, but when it comes to naming my quilts I hit a roadblock.  I mull over names when I should be sleeping, I test names out loud in the shower, I write down ideas when I doodle.

I just got word that three of my quilts have been accepted into a modern quilt show coming up in September at the Gmeiner Art & Cultural Center, here in Wellsboro PA.

Prior to submitting my applications for these quilts, I had to name them...

  Can't say I'm thrilled with the names I came up with, but I just couldn't think of anything more unique.

How do you come up with names for your quilts???

And if you want to see the front of these quilts, come to the show at the Gmeiner Sept. 6-27, where you can view lots of modern quilts made by quilters within a 150 mile radius of Wellsboro.  Should be a great show!


Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Making Fabric with Pat Sloan

Wow - today was just amazing!  A day spent in the company of fellow quilters...

Learning new skills from the amazing Pat Sloan!

I have always admired improvisational quilting, but it has always intimidated me.  I have spent so many years working on perfecting my cutting and piecing skills, striving for perfection.

I have even tried to train myself to cut my scraps into perfect 1 1/2" or 2 1/2" wide strips, ready for piecing into a log cabin block that would be perfectly square when finished.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, and I will continue to strive for perfection in my work, but there is something so liberating and fun about just grabbing scraps, chopping them into chunks, and sewing them together at random.

It really is FUN!!!

Today's workshop with Pat Sloan was a technique class.  I really didn't put much effort into picking the "right" fabrics.  The instructions were to just bring a basket full of scraps.

I love the technique.  We learned how to create new fabric from our scraps, including non-traditional log cabin blocks like the ones shown above, with "kisses" or "x's" spliced into them, as well as curved seam strips sewn together to make "new" fabric.

I will definitely be doing more improv work in the future, although I'm sure I haven't given up on the pursuit of perfection either.  I see a combination of both in my future quilting projects.

Pat Sloan is an excellent teacher, and everyone seemed to come away with the skill and desire to try something new.  What a wonderful day!  Thank you Pat, and thanks to the Mountain Laurel Quilt Guild for hosting the event.


Monday, July 20, 2015

Pat Sloan Workshop

First of all, I have to thank you all for your patience and understanding during my blogging absence.  It's not that I haven't been busy with lots of quilting projects, but I kind of lost my "voice" after my mother died in March.  Every time I sat down to write a blog post, I found myself at a loss for words.  There just weren't any.  I guess the depression affected me more than I expected.  But I'm finally starting to feel like my life is becoming more normal again, and I'm happy to be back.  It's time to move forward and honor my mom's memory with joy, not sorrow.  So... 'nuff said...  On to the "quilty" stuff!

I'm sure most of you have heard of Pat Sloan.  If not, you'll just have to click on this link and read all about her.  She was the guest speaker at our Quilt Guild meeting tonight, and while I'm not one to regularly attend meetings, I just couldn't miss the opportunity to meet her in person.  I am so glad I went!  Pat is an excellent speaker, and I enjoyed her program very much.  And tomorrow I get to attend this workshop!!!  I promise to take some pictures and report back to you soon...

And I'll get busy writing posts of some of the projects I've been working on during my absence.
Soon...  I hope...

In the meantime,  Cheers!

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Ohio Star Quilt Final

As promised, here are some pictures of the completed Ohio Star quilt, now that it is safely in my client's hands.  The only place in my house that I can spread out a large quilt like this is my living room, and it just barely fit.  I had to stand on the couch to get a picture.  I dream of having a large studio someday...  don't you?

And the pair of pillow sham covers.


Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Ohio Star Is Done!

Yes, my Ohio Star quilt is finished.  But it doesn't seem fair to post pictures of the finished quilt here before my client has seen it, so here is just a peek at a portion of the pillow shams that he requested to go with the quilt.  I'll post more picture of the quilt and shams soon!


Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Free Motion Quilting a Queen

I have always told myself that I would never free-motion quilt a queen size quilt on my domestic machine.  I always thought it would just be too big and bulky.  Wrong!!!
It's going really well, although not necessarily fast...  But that's ok, because I'm getting a lot of practice hours in, and you know what they say...  Practice makes perfect.

I have finished quilting all of the blocks and the outer borders.  Now I just have to go back and add a filler design to the background.


Saturday, April 11, 2015

Basting the Ohio Star

I finished piecing the top of this Ohio Star quilt this past week.

Now it's on the basting table.  I don't normally baste and quilt my own queen size quilts, so this will be a new experience for me.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...