Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Thinking in the Shower

My friend Susan blogged about a challenging quilt project she has coming up.  She's wondering where her inspiration will come from.  I replied, and our conversation went something like this:

ME:  "You always come up with fantastic quilts Susan. I have no doubt that you'll do it again, and if you're anything like me, your inspiration will hit at 2am, or while in the shower."
SHE:  "Why is that anyway?  It seems like I always do my best thinking first thing in the morning while I'm in the shower!"

Is this a normal phenomenon?  Do you do your best thinking in the shower?  Those creative thoughts come at a price though.  They drive out all of the other practical things we should be thinking of in the shower - like, "did I remember to shampoo my hair yet?  Or did I just wet it???"

Of course, I was thinking about this in the shower this morning, and by the time I had gathered my thoughts for this post I had washed my body, shampooed my hair, then found myself pumping out more soap to wash again....  arghhh!!!  ...at least, I think I had already washed once...   Is it just me?  Or is it my senior brain?



3 comments:

  1. I have to admit that some of my best ideas happen when I'm doing SOMETHING ELSE. (i.e., driving, showering, cooking, folding laundry, cleaning, etc.) besides thinking about my project. For some odd reason my brain is more open to ideas then. I don't get it.

    Makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...you crack me up, Kathy! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-ha! I can't tell you how many times I have felt my head and thought, "Did my hair get wet because I washed my face or did I wash my hair?" (I have very short hair.) So, I wash my hair just in case!

    My husband can never understand why it takes me longer than him to take a shower...well, he's bald so he's not having to wash his hair twice. So, let's just start there.... :)

    I often find I come up with ideas when walking or driving and I am not able to sketch or write them down at that time. By the time I am able to sketch/write it down the idea is gone. :(

    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers make me smile!