Sunday, May 1, 2016

IKEA TIVED Sewing Machine Light

Who would have thought that IKEA would have the perfect light for quilters!
Not me, that's for sure!


I love my JUKI TL-2010Q.
But one downfall is the light.  There is one tiny light that is located slightly to the left of the needle, so there is always a shadow to the right of the foot.  It's not a real problem for general sewing and piecing, but it's a real pain when I'm trying to Stitch-In-The-Ditch with my walking foot.  I need to have a good view of the seam I'm trying to stitch in, and that darned shadow blocks my view.

A couple of years ago I found a clamp-on LED Grill Light that worked great.  (You can read my blog post about it by clicking here.)  While the light itself does a good job, the downfall is that it runs on batteries.  With fresh batteries, the lighting was perfect - but as the batteries wore out, the light got continually dimmer and dimmer.  The light never stayed consistent.  Not to mention the small fortune I was shelling out for batteries!

So I went on a search for something similar that was electric.
I found several options, but the flexible gooseneck was always too short.  I needed to be able to position the lamp out of the way. where it wouldn't obstruct the movement of my quilt.

After much searching, I finally found one.
Let me introduce you to the TIVED lamp from IKEA.


Here is a little demonstration of just how much light this gives off.

First, with no lights on the sewing machine - just my standard room lighting...
(isn't that scrap of Kaffe Fassett just gorgeous?)


 Next, with just the standard issue light that came installed on the JUKI.  See how most of the light falls to the left of the needle?


 And this is with the IKEA light added.  Isn't that a HUGE difference?  And because the lamp is on a flexible gooseneck, I can position it anywhere I need, based on what I'm doing.  Ripping out stitches?  No problem - just swing it over and point the spot right on my work.  Left, right, front, back - so much adjustment makes it perfect for practically any brand of machine.

Plus it has the added bonus of being an LED light so it gives of very little heat.  I can wrap my hand comfortably around the conical metal shade when the light is on, and it's just slightly warm to the touch.


 I have mine mounted to the front right corner of my table using the sturdy clamp that came with it.  And see that knurled piece just above the clamp?  I can loosen that and raise the lamp post up or down as I like, then re-tighten to secure it in place.  So there is LOTS of adjustment in this lamp.  (It also came with a mounting plate that allows it to be screwed to the wall, if that works better in your space.)

It also has an ON/OFF switch conveniently located on the cord, several inches from the end of the lamp post.  It's the white rectangle you see under my table.  I could even fasten the switch to the table with double-sided tape if I want to.  The cord is probably 5-6' long (I forgot to measure, sorry) so I had no problem plugging it in to an outlet on the wall.


I'm sure you're now wondering - How Much???  The lamp was $34.99 and since I don't live near an IKEA, I had to order on-line, but with tax and shipping included it was still under $50.

If you have any questions, just leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. I have several Bernina sewing machines (3) and for the last 6 months I have seriously been contemplating buying the Juki 2010. I understand it has a very good straight stitch and virtually no tension problems. I guess I'm waiting for the right sale.

    I'm sorry you don't have an Ikea near you. I have purchased several LED lamps for my sewing needs from Ikea after learning about them from Bonnie Hunter's blog. As the bulbs are not replaceable, I always ask for them as gifts at Christmas, birthdays, etc. I now have a good supply of them on hand. I was surprised at the price you paid for yours all mine were under $10.00. I believe Amazon sells them as well and for less than what you paid for yours. Check out Bonnie's blog to see how she uses hers. Terry in So. Calif.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers make me smile!