Tuesday, October 21, 2014

An Aviary Quilt

My three-year-old granddaughter has a new bedroom in a new house and needs a quilt for her new "big girl bed".

 She decided (with her mother's help) on Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 in Lilac collection.  I took the liberty of adding some fabrics from my stash to the mix.  It's a simple quilt, made up of 6" squares, and I used a light pink from Lotta Jansdotter's Glimma collection for the binding.

I found the backing fabric at Needles Quilt Shop and the colors are a perfect match.

I quilted this one on my Juki sewing machine and used an all-over grid-based design.  Kind of a whirly-gig kind of thing.  I was apprehensive about quilting a full-size quilt on a sit-down machine, but by starting in the center and breaking the quilt into quarters, it was really quite manageable!  I stitched continuously in a manner I learned in a class at MQX, so only had to stop when I ran out of bobbin thread.

I used cotton batting, and I washed and dried it when I was finished, so it's a little more puckered now from the slight shrinkage - but this quilt will get lots of use, so I wanted to put it through it's first wash before I deliver it.

Now I'm making a pair of Roman Shades to match the quilt, using the purple fabric with aqua sparrows.  A little "out-of-my-normal-comfort-zone" type of project, but with the help of this tutorial, I think it will work out just fine.


1 comment:

  1. Oh, WOW! I totally love this quilt, everything about it! And that gives me an idea of how to quilt a scrappy improv quilt I've been mulling over for months now! thanks for sharing. You have a lucky granddaughter (and daughter!) :-)


Comments from my readers make me smile!