Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Selvage Project

It's been a productive week here in the Cotton Cellar.  And why not, since it's SO COLD outside, I might as well hibernate and get some work done, right?
I pieced four more "Paint Box" Baby quilt tops, three brights, and one pastel.

Then I had the urge to make something for myself.  I've been collecting selvages for ages, waiting for the inspiration to make something with them.  Well, it finally hit me...  I have a handmade wood extension table for my featherweight machine, that is just awesome...
But I needed a tote bag to keep it in... 
A great use for all those selvages, don't you think?
I used white duck cloth for the foundation, fusible fleece for the batting, then stitched the selvages down using this technique from Elizabeth Hartman.
I didn't use a lining, simply turned the top edge down and top-stitched it in place.  I zigzaged all the raw edges to secure the threads.  Boxed the lower corners just a little, then added webbing handles, and done!  My custom, hand-made extension table now has a safe and sturdy carry case!

Now I need to quilt those four Paint Box quilts...  while it's still too cold to go outdoors...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers make me smile!