Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fallingwater

I missed my Tasting Table Tuesday post this week, but I had a good excuse.  Hubby and I took off for a little road trip.  I've always wanted to go visit Fallingwater, so we finally made the trip.  If you haven't heard of it before, it's a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and it's one of his most famous designs.  The house was built as a summer home for the Kaufmann family, founders of Kaufmann's Department Store, which is now owned by Macy's.  It's in southwestern Pennsylvania, which is about a 4-5 hour drive from here.

We took a 1-hour guided tour and our tour guide was excellent.  We weren't allowed to take any photographs inside the home, but we were encouraged to take all the outdoor shots we wanted.  Unfortunately, they don't allow me to post them on the internet - they are for personal use only.  So if you want to see pictures, please go to their website and take a look at theirs.

Here's one picture I took in their garden though - I don't think I'll get in trouble for this one, since it could have been taken anywhere.  The sun was really bright while I was taking pictures of the flower gardens, so I had trouble seeing the display screen on my camera.  But I really wanted a close-up of this butterfly, so I just  held the camera where I thought I might catch the butterfly in the frame, zoomed as far as I could, and hoped for the best.  For a "shot-in-the-dark", I thought this turned out pretty darn good!
If you ever get the opportunity to tour this fantastic example of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, I highly recommend it.  It's a fantastic experience!  For more information, click on this link.

We spent 2 nights at an old Victorian B&B, called the Historic Stone House Inn.  What a great experience!  Totally unlike anything we've ever stayed at before, but it was great.  They also have a fantastic restaurant and tavern, so we had wonderful meals while we were there.

Then we traveled north to Erie and spent a couple of days visiting with my parents.  Aren't Mom's hydrangeas gorgeous this year?

I couldn't resist taking some pictures - the colors were just magnificent!  She sent me home with some cuttings, so I'll see if they take root.  I'm not much of a gardener though, so I'm not holding my breath.  But I really hope it works, because I'd love to have one of these in my garden!
Hope you had a good week, and I'll try to have something new to share with you next Tuesday.  Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. We've always wanted to go there!! But it's a bit out of the way, so we never made it.

    Love the butterfly photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in the hydrangeas are just spectacular! Not enough superlatives to describe the hues...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fallingwater is on our list of places we want to visit. Gorgeous butterfly picture!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from my readers make me smile!