It's been a productive day today in the Cotton Cellar. Vintage Shirts have been Slashed, Starched, Stripped & Stitched. (Of course, they were washed & dried before I even started - but that was on Sunday, so it doesn't count.)
I've had this collection of men's oxford shirts since the mid-1980's, when I asked my co-workers if they would kindly donate their used shirts to me. I was just learning how to quilt back then, and I thought it would be neat to make a quilt with all these shirts, but of course, they got packed away in a box in my sewing room with plans of using them "some day". Well, I just decided that "some day" had waited long enough and it was time to use them, or pitch them. So far, I've only used the backs of the shirts and I have enough pieces cut to make two throws or baby quilts, plus there are still enough unused strips to make two more (or one twin). That's not even counting the fronts of the shirts!
The color palette is very soft - kind of "shabby-chic-ish" - like something you'd see at an old beach cottage and the pattern I designed is very simple. I hope to have at least one done by the end of this week and I'll share it with you as soon as it's finished. Maybe I'll even continue right on and make a few more!