I finished assembling the quilt top of OBW #2 today.
My original plan for the border was just to use the ombre all the way around, but I really wanted the light part to be in the middle of each border and the dark in the corners. The fabric gradation wouldn't allow that, so I had to "stretch" the ombre to get the effect I wanted, so I used four of the remaining bird panels from the original fabric that I used for the center of the quilt, and inserted one into the middle of each border.
But I still needed to "stretch" the dark ends of the ombre into the corners. I finally had a brain-storm and decided to try making ombre nine-patch corner blocks and it worked perfectly!
The fabric has a very subtle linear design in it, so I alternated the direction of the lines, horizontal and vertical, so the nine-patch effect shows up, but it's very subtle, almost looking like the corners are woven. It's exactly the look I was going for. (Ignore those little yellow dots - I pinned the quilt to my design wall to take these pics.)
Once I finish quilting it, I will bind it with solid black, matching the narrow inner border.
I decided to share the pieced quilt top with you now, because it will likely be a few months before I'm able to start quilting it. But when I do, I'll posts more pics then.
In the meantime, I have two customer quilts to make, and a Quilty-Trip coming up. I'm going to Quilting on the Bayfront in Erie PA next week! Can't wait! I'll tell you all about it in my next post.