Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I'm Back!

I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last blogged!  Unfortunately, my daughter took sick shortly after my last post and was hospitalized for 5 days.  I dropped everything and drove to New Jersey to help take care of her 3-year old daughter while daddy drove back and forth to the hospital each day.  Then, after she was released, she still needed alot of assistance, so I stayed for a second week to help her at home.

It started with severe flu-like symptoms and it took several days and 2 trips to the Emergency Room before they diagnosed her with a form of shingles called Ramsey Hunt Syndrome that affects the nerves on one side of the face - in particular, the ear (inside & out), tongue, and facial nerve, which results in Bell's Palsy - a paralysis of one side of the face.

Fortunately, the shingles have cleared up and the palsy is almost gone now, but she is still dealing with vertigo from the effects on the inner ear.  But she is improving and getting stronger each day.  Hopefully she'll be back to her old self before much longer.

So, now I'm home, and trying to pick up where I left off...

I finished piecing the top of Family Ties #3 and dropped it off at the long-armer this weekend, so #4 (the last) will be on my work table soon.

I also met with a new customer yesterday to discuss a new project.  She has a fantastic collection of her mother's vintage hankies and I have the honor of creating a custom quilt with them!

Maybe this will become my niche in the quilting business... quilts from vintage items.  I didn't plan it this way, but in the past few years I've used men's shirts, neckties, now hankies. While it always seems a little daunting before I start, I love the challenge involved with these quilts and the thrill of seeing them to completion.
Now I need to find the appropriate vintage floral fabrics to use with this quilt.  The collection I want is no longer available.  It was an old Robyn Pandolph line for Moda called "Morning Glory" and I made a quilt for my daughter with it in the 1990's.  It would be perfect for this quilt, but haven't had any luck finding it, so I'll have to come up with something else.  Darn...  But it gives me an excuse to go fabric shopping!  Yay!

I've also been busy making things for my little grandchildren, but don't have pictures ready to post yet, so check back soon to see what else I've been up to!

I'm glad to be back.  I missed you all!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers make me smile!