Sunday, February 18, 2018

Batik Love

As I look back on my previous blog posts, I noticed how many of my recent projects have involved batik fabrics.


The more I use them, the more I love them.

Some of the reasons are practical - because of the higher thread-count base fabric, they are crisp and flat and stable, so they finger-press very nicely.  I can get nice accurate results in my finished quilts.

The other reasons are more aesthetic.  The colors are just glorious, and the shading and prints are beautiful.  I feel like an artist when I'm creating with batiks and the batiks are my paints.

But it's more than that...


While I was pressing the fabrics for this latest set of batik placemats to list on Etsy, it hit me...


It's the smell!

Have you ever noticed the odor of hot pressed batiks?  When heated with an iron, the residual wax left in the fabric from the manufacturing process smells exactly like a new box of

CRAYOL CRAYONS!

It takes me back to my childhood and the thrill of opening a brand-new box of crayons.
One of my favorite things...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers make me smile!